Thursday, September 6, 2007

White Water Rafting Trip


3 weeks ago I went Rafting in Korea on a local bus trip with the Waegook Cook Bar. It was a good time. There were about 40 people who went, about 25 foreigners and 15 Koreans, it was a good mix. We left around 9:30 in the morning and it took 2-3 hours to get to the river. No one really drank on the way their, a few people might have had a drink or two but for a Waegook Cook Bus the drinking was kept to the lowest possible level. When we arrived the instructors tried to organize us into groups based on sex and size but we didn't care we wanted to be with our friends so the whole raft organizing took over 1/2 an hour. Then we met our guides and got our gear and rafts. My group had Derrick in it, the owner of the Waegook Bar and a crazy South African man. He was jumping out of the boat and attacking our poor guide all through the trip. We had a blast, we splashed all the other boats around us, jumped out and threw all the girls out of our raft many times. Our guide seemed to particularly enjoy tossing the girls off the raft. The river itself was pretty tame. There weren't any rapids that I was worried about and maybe only 1 or 2 that I wouldn't have swam through. It was a few class 3's and mostly class 2 rapids but the trip was still a lot of fun because it was a good group. The best part was a huge rock that we got to jump of off, the river was maybe 20 feet below, I did this a few times. We also got to use the raft as a slide into the river off of another rock, these were both a lot of fun to do. I also met May a beautiful Korean English teacher on this trip and I also got to hang out with many of my friends from Gumi. After the trip we had a Korean barbecue which is when you take strips of meat, I think it was beef this time, but they also do this with pork and you fry them on large skillets in the middle of the table. We also had rice and my favorite Korean food, kimchi(cabbage fermented in a red paste). We started drinking at this time and continued to drink on the bus trip back to Gumi. We also stopped at a famous dam in Korea on the way back, it was very scenic. All in all I would say it was a great trip, if your in Gumi during the summer I recommend going on the Waegook Rafting Trip, the river isn't that great but the people make up for it!!!