Thursday, September 6, 2007

Seoul 2, The Adventure Continues


I went to Seoul about a month ago, it was my second trip to Korea's capital city. Every time I and anyone I know goes to Seoul we always want to go back the next weekend because it is so much fun, this time was no different. I arrived around noon on Saturday. I took the KTX train from Gumi with a short transfer in Dajeon. When I arrived I met my friend Yubi and we went to Itaewon to eat Mexican food, I love Mexican and you can't get it within 100km of where I live. We went to a restaurant called Poncho's, it was good, I had a burrito, taco, enchilada combo platter and a ultimate margarita. The food was great but it was expensive, for 2 people to eat Mexican in Cleveland where I am from it would cost maybe $20-25 and $5 a margarita, depending on the size. In Itaewon it costs $40 for the meal and $10 for each margarita, but it was worth every won. After lunch we headed off to COEX Mall. This is a huge mall that is below the trade center in Seoul. I have never seen a mall this big before, I think I saw maybe half of it and it took most of the day. I got to get a picture on the Simpson's Coach at the movie theater at the mall. I bought some popular science magazines at a book store and did a lot of window shopping. I am a mallrat and I love to see a country's malls. We also ate at Pizzeria Uno, which to my knowledge is the only one in Korea and it was delicious. I had a real caesar salad and a very good pizza, with no corn.(for some reason a lot of pizza's in Korea come with corn on them, I don't know why but I don't like it) After the mall I went back to Itaewon and got a room at the Itaewon Hotel. I then walked around Itaewon and ended up going to the Reggae Bar and met some cool people from Minnesota who had only been in Korea for 3 days. I drank their until about 3am and then I went to bed. The next day Yubi took me to Insadong an outdoor market that sells all sorts of things. We went to a toy museum, which I loved because I love toys. They had a ton of old Voltron and GI Joe memorabilia and hundreds of other cool toys, it was a lot like Big Fun in Coventry, Ohio but you couldn't buy most of the things. We then walked to the Cheong Gye Cheon river. It's a really cool park on the banks of the cleanest river in Seoul. You can swim (more like wade, but its Korea, Koreans don't really swim)in it and many people do including the two of us. After playing in the river and walking for a mile or so we ended up downtown near city hall. Yubi took me to where she works and then we took the subway and went to Sinchon where she lives. There are several Uni's (Universities) in this ares, so it is all 18-25 year olds, its like a really, really, really big campus. It's one big party. We went to a PC room here and then headed back to Seoul Station where I hopped a train back to Gumi. It was a great 2 days in Seoul, I loved my time there with Yubi!!