Sunday, September 16, 2007

Just another day in the capital of the land of Kimchi


I went to Seoul again this weekend to celebrate the birthday of one of the teachers from my school, she has some college friends who moved to Seoul last week and she wanted to visit them to go out for her birthday. I got to Seoul late Friday night and I ended up staying in Itaewon, I didn't even get a cab at Seoul Station until 1am, there was a 40 minute wait in the cab line in the pouring rain, my train arrived at 12:10. The hotel I usually stay at was booked, the person in front of me in line got the last room. All the other hotels I know about in Itaewon were also booked so I ended up staying in the worst hotel I have ever been in next to the grand ole opry bar. It was unpleasant and smelly but only $30.I survived and got a hotel in Sinchon for Saturday night, it was $60 but it was really nice, marble, bath robe, free drinks in the fridge, extremely clean, etc. The name of the hotel was the Anytime Hotel. It is located behind the McDonald's and Burger King In Sinchon near the #2 exit from line 2 of the subway. I did get to eat at Pitas for lunch on Saturday, I had a delicious hummus and falafel pita wrap, it was the first real pita bread I've seen in Korea. It is across the street from Burger King in Itaewon which does have the best collection of western restaurants in Seoul. I didn't do much Saturday afternoon, all I did was rest since I didn't get much sleep Friday night. On Saturday night I took a 50 minute subway ride to COEX mall to meet some teachers and their friends at the COEX Mall Intercontinental hotel. We had some drinks in their hotel room and then they went to dinner but I took the subway back to Sinchon so I could meet up with Yubi when she got off of work and then go to Hondae to meet Robyn and Lisa and go out with them for Lisa's birthday. We met at some Hof(bar) above Starbucks and had a few pitchers and waited for everyone else to meet us. Once we had a crew of about 15 people,mostly Canadians we went to we went to Tinpan a western style bar/club where there was hip hop music and people dancing on tables. It was just like a college dance club in the states. Also Hondae is very dirty theres trash and puke all over the streets. 3 of Seoul's largest Universities are in the area so its just one big party town there. It's like nothing I have ever seen and I have seen a lot!