Sunday, September 9, 2007

Pink Eye or The Eye Disease

In Korea they treat Pink Eye a little different than we do in the U.S. In the U.S. if you have Pink Eye you are sent home from school until you are no longer contagious. There are some schools in Korea that do this too, but many of them including my school apparently do not do this. I was told by my director that she tells students to stay home if they have Pink Eye, but I was told by several of the students that they were told they should still come and they can be put in a separate room, the truth probably lies somewhere in between. Regardless of the policy of my school it seems that in general many schools in Korea allow and expect students to attend school with this highly contagious disease, this isn't surprising to me because of the high value Koreans put on education. I was also told by a student that her middle school makes students come because many students would infect each other on purpose so they could get a few days off of school, this probably happens in the U.S. too. So they just make all the infected students go to a large room and they have a separate class for them. I guess its not really a big deal to go to school with Pink Eye, you don't get fatigued or dizzy, the only issue is that you are contagious and will spread the disease to others. I can't say that I am thrilled to be working with contagious students and I will also say that if I get Pink Eye or as they call it in Korea the Eye Disease I won't be coming to work until its cleared up, but hey I guess I would get to use my 3 sick days then. All I have to say about this is TIK (this is Korea), that about sums it up!