Sunday, March 2, 2008

Fun with Naming


When we get a student in Korea who has never been to a private English school we get to give them an English name. Just like we used to get in foreign language class back in the states. My name in Spanish class was Pablo. As bored teachers we sometimes like to amuse ourselves with this process. I recently had 4 new students in a class, 3 boys and 1 girl. I also had a new student with the name Kramer. I took this opportunity to name the majority of this class after Seinfeld characters. I had Jerry, Newman,George, Elaine and Kramer. I told them what I was doing and why and they didn't like it but I bribed them with a pizza party and they reluctantly accepted. I still haven't had any luck getting Kramer to learn how to enter a room like Kramer did on the show,but I haven't given up yet... There are also many students named after numbers, I have Seven, One and Three in my classes. I also once named a kid Mario in hopes of naming the next one Luigi, nut no kid will take the name Luigi,they just refuse. I am not completely without compassion here, but some teachers are, if I wanted I could just name them and it would be final but I at least ask them what they want. I will trick them to take the names I want,but I give them at least the appearance of a choice. Many teachers just tell them there name and they have to take it regardless of there feelings for the name. Some other interesting names are Pole, Hangman, Hand, Action Jackson, Robot, Crazy Eyes, and Eight Arms. Not all of these are at my school but I asked around to a few friends for the strangest names at there schools. Please keep in mind that 98% of the students have normal English names. We are only bored sometimes...