Friday, December 28, 2007

Beards in Korea


I recently decided to grow a beard. There were all the normal issue's involved in this, like itchy skin while it first grows in and the awkward look until it is fully grown in. However I also realized that Koreans really do not like facial hair. Of course there are a few Koreans who like it, but the vast majority, easily over 90% dislike it and some really hate it. My students spend a good portion of each class trying to convince me that I looked more handsome without it and that I should shave it off. They say I have a dirty face. Apparently in Korea's past Beards where common, they were a sign of maturity but sometime in the last 50 years they went out of style and today they are just not socially acceptable. It used to be when I walked down the street I would get a lot of smiles from Korean women, when I first grew the beard I noticed that I was being treated differently but it took me a few weeks to realize the cause, the beard. Anyway I am not discouraged by the Korean opposition to my beard, I like it and all the foreigners dig it too. So I will keep my beard and continue to tease my students by telling them I will shave it off if they all get 100% on their tests, which they never will....