Thursday, November 8, 2007

Sangju Mountain


This past Saturday all 21 teachers and staff from both the schools I work for went to Sanju Mountain for a group hike. We all left at 9am on one of the buses the school owns. We traveled a little over an hour to get to Sangju Mountain. I don't know the exact length of our hike but it was around 8km. The mountain is very beautiful. It is surrounded by a small town, I am not sure of the name of this town. The hike was mandatory which pissed me off, but it was fun. My school tries to get all the teachers together every month or two for bonding. I find it a bit draconian to tell people what they have to do on non work hours but at least we get free meals out of it. It's better than the ridiculous trainings we also have to attend on our time, those really piss me off. But TIK (This Is Korea) most management decisions here are not based on logic but are rather based on trying to control people, which is about 40 years behind the US style. Anyway, the hike was cool, a few of the teachers struggled on the hike, our owner took more than an hour after the rest of the group to finish the hike but everyone finished eventually. The top of the mountain had a temple, most mountain peaks in Korea have temples, a solar power array and a helicopter pad. There were also a few spots were you had to use a rope to go up or down. After the hike two of the teachers and I got drunk while we waited for the owner then we went to a duck restaurant, I had cod. It was a fun and scenic forced hike.