Saturday, June 9, 2007

Luxuries of Korean Life and Bars


This week I hired a maid to clean my place. For twenty dollars a week she cleans my apartment and does all my laundry. In the U.S. I could never have afforded this Luxury. We had another holiday this week on Wednesday, it was Korea's Memorial Day. On Tuesday Night the entire staff of my school went out to eat, apparently this is something that we do every month or two. We went to a very nice restaurant near downtown across the street from the cities park. I had the best shrimp fried rice I have ever eaten, of course it was called something else, but that is what I associated it with. The hardest thing to get used to for me when eating out in Korea is that they share everything, everyone eats off of everyone else's plates and there are many side dishes that people just eat from. They even share big bowls of soup, they all just dip their spoons in and eat. The soup is just too much for me, I can handle the side dishes but hands of my en tree and I don't share soup! They did have dark beer at this restaurant, which is a huge plus as its difficult to get here. After the restaurant we went to the Waegook Cook Bar, Waegook is the Korean word for foreigner, so the bar is called the Foreigner Bar, it has a western menu and a better selection of drinks than Korean bars(called hofs). The owner is a South African man named Derrick, he married a Korean woman and now lives in Gumi. Here is a link to the Waegook's website, it has their menu and more. www.waegookcook.com After the Waegook we went to the Nori Bong (Karaoke Bar) that is conveniently located below the Waegook. At the Nori Bong the Korean teachers sang a bunch of Korean Songs then a few of the other western teachers came down and we started singing american songs. At the end of the night I had managed to lose my voice again but I had it back the next day.